Research & License Guidelines
Generous Genealogists Free Research & License Guidelines
- Free Redistribution: The license of a Generous Genealogists effort may not restrict any party from selling or giving away the acquired materials as a component of an aggregated work containing information and materials from several different sources. The license may not require a royalty or other fee for such transfer/ sale.
- Derived Works: The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must allow them to be distributed under the same terms as the license of the original work(s).
- No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups: The license must not discriminate against any person or group of persons.
- No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor: The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the materials in any legitimate genealoical publication or effort. For example, it may not restrict the materials from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic research.
- Distribution of License: The rights attached to the works must apply to all to whom the program is redistributed without the need for execution of an additional license by those parties.
- License Must Not Be Specific to GenerousGenealogists: The rights attached to the program must not depend on the works being part of a GenerousGenealogists effort.
- License Must Not Contaminate Other Works: The license must not place restrictions on other works that may be distributed along with a differing license. For example, the license must not insist that combined work be distributed under a more restrictive license.
- Example Licenses: The “GPL”, “BSD”, and “Artistic” licenses are examples of licenses that we consider “free”.
The preceding portion of this document is based upon the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG).
As for chargeable items, GenerousGenealogists are limited to requesting for reimbursement of charges related to gathering and processing your information including: copies, printing fees, postage, film or video tape, parking fees, mileage, etc. Mileage charges are limited to those allowable by United States Internal Revenue standard mileage rates for Business.